Rick Joaquim is an award-winning Cinematographer who is constantly in demand. From short films and music videos for South Africa's leading artists to Commercials for clients including the Last Week Tonight with John Oliver on HBO, KIA Cars, Doritos, Castle Beer, BMW and Virgin shooting for Sir Richard Branson.
When you see Rick’s work, it takes a minute for you to put your finger on why you simply can’t look away. Soon you get it. There’s a kind of magic holding your gaze in every frame. For sure all the technical genius is present, but it’s his empathy with the subject matter that keeps you riveted. His love and respect for narrative is what drove him to film in the first place, but his dedication to each story - is what makes each picture a joy to watch. “If the composition and lighting don’t bring the audience closer in, I’ve missed the point.” Says Rick. “Telling every part of a story beautifully is why I am here.” Rick is generous, determined and focused on bringing the heart of the piece into the light. He is also one of the best humans you’ll ever meet. Which is probably why he finds the kind of moments ordinary people overlook.
Rick has been fortunate enough to travel the world for his work and win a few awards along the way including "Best Film" at the 48 Hour Film Project Johannesburg both in 2014 and 2016 respectively, “Best Short Film” at the Silwerskerm Festival 2018 Awards for a film he shot titled “Axis Mundi” and nominated for "Best Cinematography” and" Best Documentary" at the Bokeh South African International Fashion Film Festival in 2018,
Rick is free to travel and work Internationally. He holds both an EU and SA Passport, and has extensive shoot experience locally and abroad.
Rick is also an Ambassador for Easyrig and Fujifilm.
Some of his Awards include:
- Nominated for "Best Cinematography" - Bokeh South African International Fashion Film Festival 2018 (DoP)
- Nominated for "Best Documentary" - Bokeh South African International Fashion Film Festival 2018 (DoP)
- Won "Best Short Film" and "Best Script" for "Axis Mundi" - Kyknet Silwerskerm Film Festival 2018 (DoP)
- Won "Best Short Film in Competition" for "Vossie Vergas Homself" - Durban Gay & Lesbian Film Festival 2018 (DoP)
- Won "Best Music Video" for Bongeziwe Mabandla's "Bawo Wam" - Capital City Black Film Festival 2018 (DoP)
- Nominated for “Best Short Film” for "Vossie Vergas Homself" - Kyknet Silwerskerm Film Festival 2017 (DoP)
- 48 Hour Film Project Johannesburg 2016 - Winner of “Best Film”, “Best Acting”, “Best VFX”, “Best Writing”, "Best Practical Effects" and “Best Sound Design” for our short film “The Mould & The Maker” (Director + DoP)
- Winner of "Best Music Video" at the South African Metal Music Awards 2015 for Man As Machine “Force" (Director + DoP)